The Cork Examiner, 1 January 1866
   A court martial sitting at Bari, on the 18th inst., condemned the brigand chief Cinociariello to death, and the sentence was carried out the next morning by shooting him in the back.

   On the 25th instant, Christmas Day, at Tulla House, Nenagh, the lady of Captain Carroll, of a daughter.
   On Thursday, December 28, at 33 Heytesbury street, Dublin, the wife of Mr. Joseph Baird, of a daughter.
   December 23, at 3, Wesley terrace, Dublin, the wife of Samuel I. Revelle, of a son.
   Dec. 23. at the Royal Dockyark [sic], Portsmouth, the wife of Dr. Gordon, R.N., of a daughter.
   Dec. 27, at Buckingham-gate, London, Lady Hartopp, of a daughter.
   At Poona, Bombay Presidency, the wife of Captain MacDonald, Royal Engineers, of a son.

   December 30, by special license, at the Catholic Church, Mallow, by the Very Rev. J. M'Carthy, P.P., Nicholas James Murphy, Esq., of Sydney-place, Cork, to Elizabeth Mary, daughter of Thomas Dillon, Esq., The Cottage, Roscommon.
   Dec. 27, in St. Paul's, Avenue-road, Hampstead, London, Watkin Williams, Esq., of the Inner Temple, to Elizabeth Anne, third daughter of the Hon. Mr. Justice [B/L/R?]ush.
   Dec. 28, at Dingle Church, by the Rev. John L. Chute Rector, assisted by the Worshipful Chancellor Swindle, Mr. David Watson, of Ballysheen, to Jane, eldest daughter of Mr. Wm. Petrie, Hotel, Dingle.

   On the 26th inst., at Prince's-street, Tralee, Thomas A. Blennerhassett, Esq., at an advanced age.
   At Queenstown, on the 25th Dec., Coleman, son of Joseph Fitzgeral[d], aged one year and five months.
   Suddenly, at her residence, Newtown, on Monday last, Mrs. Barron, widow of the late Pierce George Barron, Esq., R.M., of Sarahville.
   Dec. 24, at Belgrave-road, St. John's Wood, London, aged 62, Captain Crawford, R.N.
   Dec. 24, at Drayton Green, Ealing, Middlesex, aged 72, Major-General John Fitzmaurice, K.H., late of the Rifle Brigade, and Lieutenant of her Majesty's Body-Guard.
   Dec. 24, at Brompton-Crescent, London, Col. Murray, of the 87th (Royal Irish Fusiliers).
   Dec. 23, at her residence, Mullingar, and to the inexpressible grief of her family and friends, Mrs. Ann Egan, the dearly beloved wife of Patrick Egan, Esq. R.I.P.
   December 28, at her father's residence, Emily Jane, second daughter of Andrew Armstrong, Esq., of Kilshavan, county Meath.
   Dec. 26th, at Sutton, London, Henry L. E. Goff, Esq., second son of the late Rev. Abraham Goff, rector of Duncormac, county Wexford.

   Lying-in Hospital—Six suits of Baby clothes, from Mrs. Lyons, Roseanna.

   A heavy gale set in from the westward on Friday morning, and raged with unusual violence for several hours. The lines of telegraph between Dublin and Cork were injured, and no intelligence could be transmitted. No casualties occurred in the Bay of Dublin, where the sea was fearfully agitated. The English mails did not arrive until half-past seven ; but the mail boat sustained no injury, and forced her way through the storm gallantly. Towards evening heavy showers fell, accompanied by fitful squalls. The pilot boats Curlew and Hawk rescued three fishing vessels from imminent danger in the early part of the day. We trust the Arklow Banks have not been the scene of another casualty as complete and disastrous as that which befell the Tenesserim [sp?].

   There are now 1,281 students under the degree of Master of Arts on the books of Trinity College, showing an increase since 1856, of 256, or 26 per cent.
   QUEENSTOWN, SUNDAY EVENING.—The R.M.S. Asia, from Halifax and Boston, arrived off the harbour at 1.30 p.m. She brings 48 passengers and £15,208 in specie. Having landed 93 sacks of mails, 6 passengers, she proceeded immediately ; all well.
   A GALE IN THE CHANNEL.—Simultaneously with the receipt of a telegram, directing all coast stations to hoist cone, pointed downwards, anticipatory of a gale from the southward, the wind suddenly rose, and blew with fearful violence from S.W., veering to W. for some hours on yesterday morning. The blue storm flag was hoisted at Kingstown, indicating to vessels in harbour to lower top-gallant masts and yards, brace yards bye, and take other precautionary measures for safety. Fishing boats were caught in the gale in the bay, and lives would have been lost were it not for the assistance rendered by the pilot cutters, Nos. 3 and [?] in towing them into harbour ; some of the boats had to [cut] away their nets. The mail steamer Munster, which left Kingstown in the morning for Holyhead, had two of her boats carried overboard on passage, and smashed. She returned to Kingstown in the evening, and was upwards of an hour detained on passage owing to very severe weather outside.—Freeman.
   DEATH FROM EXCESSIVE FRIGHT.—On Christmas Day Mr. William Merrington, a highly respectable farmer, living retired at Billericay, Essex, but who has a son who occupies the farm he had at Buttsbury, about three miles distant, met his death under the following circumstances. On that day there was a family gathering at the farm, and Mr. Merrington, who is a widower and 69 years of age, drove his daughter, Mrs. Duncan, wife of the governor of Billericay Union-house, and her two children, over in a four-wheeled chaise. After dinner, about half-past 4 p.m., he was returning home, and, when near Thorowgood's-wood, the horse took fright and furiously galloped away. It went about half a mile before it could be stopped. Mr. Merrington, who was a powerful man, twisted the reins round his wrist to give him more purchase over the horse. It ran on to a green and up to a gate, and Mrs. Duncan jumped out and ran to the horse's head, having one of the children in her arms. On looking round to speak to her father he appeared to tremble very much, fell back in the chaise, and never spoke more. She shrieked for assistance, but it was a considerable time before any one came. A man came up from hearing the cries, took the horse out, and galloped off for a doctor, who, on arriving, found the vital spark had fled. An inquest was held at the Bull Inn, Billericay, before Mr. Lewis, deputy coroner, when Mr. Rayne, surgeon, stated that death arose from excessive palpitation of the heart, brought on by extreme fright. Verdict—“Died by accident, arising from fright.” It is supposed the chaise pressed on the horse and started it off.
   THE GLORY OF WOMAN is a fine head of hair, one in which the natural softness, colour, and glossiness are preserved ; free from any tendency to falling off and disposition to greyness. Mrs. S. A. ALLEN'S World's Hair Restorer and Zylobalsamum are undoubtedly the best articles for attaining that end ; their extensive use throughout the civilised world attest their worth, and no lady who has once used them considers her toilet complete in their absence.
   Mrs. S. A. ALLEN'S principal sales office, 363 High Holborn, London. Her preparations can be bought of most Chemists and Patent Medicine Dealers in the kingdom.
   QUEENSTOWN, SUNDAY EVENING.—The R.M.S. Asia, from Halifax and Boston, arrived off the harbour at 1.30 p.m. She brings 48 passengers and £15,208 in specie. Having landed 93 sacks of mails, 6 passengers, she proceeded immediately ; all well.

   Upon reference to our advertising columns it will be seen that the Shelbourne Hotel, Stephen's-green, has been purchased by Messrs. Jury, of College-green, Dublin ; Cotton, of the Imperial Hotel, Cork ; and Goodman, of the Railway Hotel, Killarney. These gentlemen are well acquainted with the management of such establishments, and know what constitutes a first-class family hotel ; it is pretty certain, therefore, that under their management the Shelbourne has a future in store for it hardly contemplated by its late proprietor. The three gentlemen who have embarked on the undertaking are well known for their enterprise, and for the success which has marked the other establishments held by them ; for Cotton's Imperial Hotel, Cork is acknowledged to be the first in Ireland, whilst Jury's, of Dublin, and the Imperial, in Belfast, also owned by Mr. Jury, have an almost European reputation ; and Mr. Goodman, who will personally manage the hotel, is well known to the nobility and gentry of this country, from his connection with one of the best clubs in this metropolis, but more recently from his being the successful manager of the Railway Hotel, Killarney.
   We understand it is the intention of the new proprietors to thoroughly remodel the house and considerably enlarge it. They do not intend to spare any expense in this direction, their determination being to make it a first class hotel, with all the newest improvements introduced into its arrangements and appointments ; and from what we know of the gentlemen engaged in it, we are pretty certain that the Shelbourne, when complete, will prove to be one of the best hotels in the United Kingdom.—Farmer's Gazette.
Submitted by dja
The Cork Examiner, 5 January 1866
   The Hamburg and Hanover Governments have agreed to bridge over the Elbe river between Hamburg and Harburg. This is a great undertaking.

THE General Shanly, Capt. Stetson, from Liverpool, for Philadelphia, with a general cargo, put into Queenstown to-day, having three feet of water in her hold, and all sails blown away. She remains to get repairs. The United States arrived in the harbour to-day, having in tow a vessel called the Leander, which they picked up of[f] Crookhaven. It appears the United States was lying in Baltimore Bay, after making an unsuccessful attempt to tow a Russian barque off the rocks, when Mr. Swanton, Lloyd's agent in Skibbereen, engaged her to render what assistance she could to the Leander. The United States was steamed to the disabled vessel, but the captain refused to give or take a line, thinking he could get on well enough, as there was a wind from the land which would keep him from the rocks. This wind did not continue long, and at four o'clock this morning the captain was obliged to accept the services of the United States. She lost her main top-mast, and all attached, and received other damage. The Russian barque, Margrete, which went on shore a few days since off Baltimore Bay, it is thought will become a total wreck. It is expected all the cargo, which is principally tobacco, will be saved, but about half will be damaged. It was this vessel the United States tug went round to render assistance to but she was too firmly fixed on the rock to be stirred. Before the vessel got on the rocks the Telegraph Company's tender refused £60 to tow her away. No casualties occurred within the harbour last night.
   GUNPOWDER EXPORTED.—From an official document just issued it appears that there has been a great increase in gunpowder exported. In the eleven months this year the value was £433,405.
   At Astley, near Ponterfract, two youths named Jeffery and Wright, aged about fifteen, quarrelled and fought, when Wright struck Jeffery on the head with a hammer causing instant death.
   HIPPOPHAGY IN PARIS.—A Paris butcher has obtained authority to open a shop for the sale of horse flesh, on the condition that he will construct a special slaughter house for the horses, the flesh of which is to be sold as food. The slaughter house will be placed under the superintendence of an inspector specially appointed for that purpose. The opening of the shop is to be celebrated by a grand banquet at which horse meat will form the principal ingredient of the dishes.
   A WIFE SHOT BY HER HUSBAND.—At a small village called Cwmsyfwch, near Blackwood, Monmouthshire, a fearful tragedy was perpetrated on New Year's night by a collier named Edmund Morgan, who killed his wife, Elizabeth Morgan, by shooting her in the groin. The diabolical act has caused the greatest excitement in the neighbourhood, where the woman was much respected for her industrious and cleanly habits. The parties were each about 25 years of age, and they had one child. In consequence of the husband's dissipation, the deceased led an unhappy life ; and on his return home about 10 o'clock on Monday night she told him that if he did not mend his ways she would leave him and take the child with her. Some words ensued, and she left the house, but almost immediately returned and went up stairs. Her husband took up a double-barrelled gun loaded with duck shot and followed her, and scarcely a minute had elapsed before a report of a gun was heard. A neighbour, Mrs. George, ran up stairs and found the deceased lying on the floor, and the husband (who is in custody) standing by with the gun in his hand, which she took from him and conveyed to her own house. During her absence the prisoner raised his wife placed her on the bed and lay down by her side. Dr. Henderson attended the poor woman, who lingered till a quarter past three o'clock on Tuesday morning, when she died in the greatest agony. During a few moments of convalescence she said that her husband shot her as she was sitting on the side of the bed, but she could not say how he did it. When taken into custody the prisoner said the gun was not loaded, as he drew the charge in the morning. On examining the gun the police found the second barrel loaded with duck shot.—Morning Star.
Submitted by dja
The Cork Examiner, 6 January 1866
AMOUNT already acknowledged £2871211
Burke Brothers 100
L. F. 500
A Friend 100
   Books of Coal Tickets of 80 Pecks of 28lbs each, One Ton, can be had from the undernamed Committee at 8s. a Book, on condition that they be given gratuitously to the Poor.
Thomas M'Kenzie and Sons 100
O. C. Edwards 100
Geo. Waters, Barrister 100
Constitution Office 100
J. Connell and Co. 100
W. and H. Goulding 200

Dr. P. O'Leary, Rockcliff £100
J. Dawson, Bellevue 100
E. G. Eastman, United States Consul 0100
N. Murphy, Norwood 200
The Recorder of Cork 100
J. Ahern, Westview 050
J. Leader, Crescent, per Rev. Dr. Rice 100
F. Michelli, Austrian Consul 0100
Mr. J. Deasy, Westborne Place 100
Colonel Beamish, Westborne Place 0100
   Subscriptions will be received and thankfully acknowledged by
            H. H. O'BRIEN, Belmount,
            WILLIAM CURRY, Westbourne place,
   N.B.—Books of Tickets for distribution can be had from the Treasurer or Secretary.

   BEG gratefully to acknowledge the following Subscriptions:—
Amount already acknowledged £3650
John Atkins, Esq., Carrig 100
Mr. John Nolan, Beach 100
Captain John Hennessy 0100
Mr. Costello, Square 0100
Mr. P. Cotter, Beach 050
   Also, £100, the bequest of the late Mr. John Prinville, Queenstown.

THE ROYAL MAIL STEAM PACKETS leave Southampton on the 9th of each Month, carrying Her Majesty's Mails, &c., for Pernambuco, Bahia, Rio de Janeiro, Monte Video, and Buenos Ayres (River Plate).
   Saloon Passengers to Rio de Janeiro for £25 and upwards, and to Monte Video and Buenos Ayres for £45 and upwards. Steerage passage to Rio, Monte Video and Buenos Ayres for £25.
   The Ships of the Royal Mail Steam Packet Company also convey passengers, &c. on the 2nd and 17th of each month for the West Indies, Mexico, California, British Columbia, &c.
   Hand Books, giving full particulars of the route, places of stoppage, length of voyage, &c., can be had on application to
                           J. M. LLOYD, Secretary.
   Royal Mail Steam Packet Company,
55, Moorgate-street, London, E.C.

CROOKHAVEN JAN. 4TH, 1866.—S.S. Limerick, for Limerick, left this harbour to-day. I have been told that a brig, laden with tobacco, from Virginia, is on shore at Whitehall, near Turk Head, and that her cargo is being discharged. It seems that she went ashore the morning the Leander went into Skull Bay. This must be the brig reported by the barque Euphenia, which, as she came into Gascinane Sound, had the same mast gone and her cargo in bags.—Correspondent.

   DINGLE, THURSDAY MORNING.—A favourable change in the weather has taken place after a fortnight of the severest storms that we have had on the west coast of Kerry for the last 50 years. This day is calm and sunny. There is not a ripple on the surface of the water in Dingle harbour, but the sea outside is still heavy.
DINGLE, WEDNESDAY NIGHT.—Captain William Campbell, master of the Scotland, and Mr. James Stobo, representing the owner, Mr. William Watts, Glasgow, have arrived in this town for the purpose of superintending the removal of the hull of the vessel. A steamer from Liverpool is daily expected to tow the vessel to London, and the crew have been ordered to muster on board this evening. The ship carried a very valuable cargo, estimated to be worth £90,000. I am not in a position to state whether the loss sustained is covered by insurance or not.
   I had an interview with Captain Campbell who handed me the following documents for publication:—
“H.M.S. Leander, Ascension,   
5th November, 1865.       
   “This is to certify that Mr. William Campbell, master of the merchant ship, Scotland, has been taken out of that ship by the finding of a naval court, from his total inability to command the vessel in consequence of the sad accident that happened to him on leaving Calcutta, and not in any way from misconduct on his part.
“J. G. BICKFORD, Captain, R.N.        
in charge of Ascension.”    
“Ascension, Nov. 26th, 1865    
   “I certify that I consider if Captain Campbell had proceeded home in his ship, the Scotland, in the state of health he was in, it would have been at the risk of his life.
“GEORGE BANKS, Surgeon in charge.”    

   A special meeting of magistrates was held at Caher, at which the following gentlemen attended.—Mr. Quin, chairman ; Messrs. Denis O'Brien, E. B. Warburton, R.M. ; Richard Grubb, P. Maguire, and Captains Chaytor and M'Craith. They held an investigation into the charge preferred against a young man named Denis Boland, namely—that of being the writer of the following placard, which was found posted on the walls of the court house and at Mr. Chaytor's residence. The prisoner was fully committed to the Clonmel jail for trial. He has since been allowed to stand out on bail:—
   The day is not far when the persecuted sons of Erin shall be risen from slavery to freedom, and the Green Flag of Erin shall float on the breeze, surrounded by true Irishmen. May the winds of Freedom soon speed O'Mahoney o'er. To hell with the Saxon tyrants.—I am yours truly, Head Centre.
F. H.    
God save the Green.
Clonmel Chronicle.

   THE “FENIAN BUTTON.”—It seems that, in emulation of the famous “Repeal Button,”¹ the Fenians in New York have adopted a distinguishing ornament, of which we received a specimen on Wednesday, sent by a friend in New York. It is very neatly made, of the size of a shilling, and consists of a gilt Irish harp in high relief fastened on a ground of green silk, and surrounded with a gilt band of engraved metal, also gilt. At the back it is finished like a locket, and has a pin and fastener attached, so that it can be worn as a brooch or a scarf pin. As it was only “just out” the day the mail left New York it is probably the first that has reached this country.—Northern Whig.

C L O N D U L A N E   H O U S E ,
Situate about 2 miles from FERMOY on the LISMORE ROAD, with from 2 Acres to 24 Acres of Land, as may be devised.
THE HOUSE has been recently built, is in perfect order, and contains 2 large Sitting Rooms, 5 best Bed Rooms, Dressing Room, Bath, and Watercloset (with Hot and Cold Water laid on), Kitchens, Pantries, and Servants' Apartments. There is a never failing supply of Water in the Garden, and brought to the House, and the whole is complete with every modern convenience.
   The Offices comprise 3 Horse Stables, Hay Loft, Granary, Coach House, Cow House, Piggery and Sheds.
   Clondulane Church is close to, and can be entered from the Fields. There are several Packs of Hounds and good Fishing in the neighbourhood, and the best Salmon fishing on the Blackwater within 5 minutes walk. Fermoy is a large Garrison Town and Station of the Great Southern and Western Railway.
   The owner would Sell his entire Estate consisting of about 45 Acres held for ever free from rent, and 18 Acres held under a lease for 100 years, all within a long ring fence. Parliamentary title.
   An assignment of existing securities would be taken, for the purchase money, or part might remain on mortgage. Apply to
            J. T. SHERLOCK, Esq., Clondulane House, Fermoy.
   December 28th, 1865.
Submitted by dja
1— Supporters of Daniel O'Connell's movement to repeal the Act of Union that dissolved the Irish Parliament in Dublin, wore buttons to show allegiance to “The Liberator” during his incarceration after the banned Clontarf meeting. For more information about the Repeal Button, see The Cork Examiner for 29 April, 13 May, and 15-22 July, 1844.

Ireland Home Page
County Cork

IMPORTANT NOTICE: All rights to the pages found within this site are retained by the original submitter of the information. Pages may be printed or copied for personal use only. They may NOT be reproduced in any form in whole or in part by any individual or organization for profit.